If you have a complexion that resembles the Sahara desert, you know all too well just how difficult it can be to find foundation that works with your particular skin type.
In an effort to help you find a foundation that eliminates the risk of that awful cake-face look for your wedding day, we’ve compiled this great guide that highlights some of the best formulas out there for dry skin. Perfect for helping you achieve that sought-after flawless finish.
Tips for Applying Makeup to Dry and Flaky Skin
Before, during, and after applying foundation to dry skin, there are a few essential tips and tricks you can use to help minimize the look of a flaky complexion:
As a part of your beauty routine and to minimize the appearance of dry skin, it’s essential to gently remove the dry flakes of dead skin cells that accumulate overnight. There are plenty of great exfoliating tools on the market, but you can also opt for keeping things simple and just use a washcloth to exfoliate your skin.
Foundations are not moisturizers, which is why you need to invest and use a good moisturizer on a daily basis. Before applying any foundation, make sure that hydrate your skin with non-petroleum based moisturizing lotion.
Avoid Matte Formulas
Matte finish foundations are definite no-nos for women with dry skin. These formulations can make your skin appear even dryer, so instead of opting for ‘oil-control’ formulations, try using a foundation with a luminous or dewy finish to enhance your skin’s texture.
Use Cream Based Products
If might be tempting, but if you have dry skin it’s best to stay as far away from powdered foundations as possible. That’s because they can increase the appearance of flakiness on the skin. For a more natural finish, stick to cream formulations that can be blended with beauty sponges.
Use Proper Tools
You’ve probably heard about the importance of using tools (not your fingers) for applying makeup. However, it’s even more important for women with dry skin. By using proper sponges or brushes, you’ll be able to create a much more natural finish.
Ingredients to Avoid If You Have Dry Skin
While all skin types require special TLC, dry skin is especially sensitive to a few common ingredients that can be found in foundation formulas. Here’s what to avoid altogether if you have dry skin:
- Retinoids – Retinoids are great for treating skin conditions such as psoriasis, wrinkles, and acne, but it’s too harsh to be used on dry skin. People with dry complexions often suffer the side effects of retinoids in the form of skin irritations, which just adds to the preexisting problem.
- Benzoyl Peroxide – Whenever you see Benzoyl Peroxide as an ingredient of a foundation, you should avoid it as far as possible since it can cause side-effects such as itching, irritation, redness, and peeling.
- Alcohol – Most beauty products contain some form of alcohol, but if you have dry skin, it’s best to use thick, creamy foundations which don’t list alcohol as an ingredient until the end of the ingredient list.
- Salicylic Acid – If you have extremely dry skin, salicylic acid might actually worsen the problem. Make sure that the foundation you’re using has a very low percentage of salicylic acid in its formulation if you want to keep your skin from flaring up.
- Preservatives and Fragrances – Fragrances and preservatives are the leading cause of skin allergies, which is why women with dry skin need to avoid these ingredients as far as possible.
Top Picks: Foundations for Dry Skin
We’ve rounded up five of the best foundations you can find on the market today, specially formulated for dry, flaky complexions. Have a look at our top picks to see which one of these might be the perfect fit for your skin.
1. True Match Lumi Healthy Luminous Makeup
by L'Oréal Paris
2. Giorgio Armani Beauty Maestro Fusion Make-Up
Quite possibly the best high-end foundation for dry skin.
3. MAC Cosmetics Face and Body Foundation N2
by MAC Cosmetics
Best full coverage foundation for dry skin?
We think so.
4. Vichy Dermafinish Corrective Fluid Liquid Foundation
5. NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation
Thanks for stopping by, we hope you found a suitable foundation for your dry skin woes. Look amazing on your wedding day, and all the other days after!
Despite her dreamy wedding blogger lifestyle, Meredith's day job is running ClassicVeils.com and a full-time mom to an active toddler. If she could, Meredith would spend her days taking cruises, helping animals in need, and watching Big Brother!