Babies aren’t alone in being light sleepers – there are plenty of adults who wake up to the sound of cabinets closing, car doors shutting, or other noisy nuisances. Then there’s the issue of insomnia, where the deafening silence can make it even harder to fall asleep!
But for babies, having a tough time falling or staying asleep usually means that the rest of the house is awake, too.
Put an end to your baby’s sleeping troubles with a sound machine! The best sound machines for babies feature soothing soundscapes to lull them to rest or white noise to help block out disruptive sounds.
Finally, a good night’s sleep for your little one (and for you, too!)
Best Sound Machines for Baby
Best For Tech-Savvy Families
- Full control from one app
- Multi-functional features
- High-quality sleep sound
- Requires relatively longer setup time
- Power Source: Adapter (included)
- Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 6.2 inches
- Weight: 1 lb
The Hatch Rest baby sleep machine is so sleek and chic that you’d almost think it’s an air freshener hiding out in the corner. Yet, after installing its free mobile app, you’ll find out just what this sound machine is capable of!
You can control for night light customization or a time-to-rise feature, plus so much more. Your baby angel won’t even need to hear those awfully squeaky bunny slippers.
However, since this guy needs an app, configuration time can take longer for some, especially the not so tech-savvy.
Best For Budget-Friendly Families
- Functional with 6 featured sleep sounds
- Budget-friendly price
- Limited control settings and sound options
- Power Source: 3 AA batteries (not included) or AC adapter (included)
- Dimensions: 4 x 4.4 x 2.63 inches
- Weight: 1 lb
Rise and shine every morning – not to any actual cocka-doodle-do – but to the six soothing sounds of this mini-cubic, white-noise baby machine.
Mama brand Big Red Rooster sure knows how to serenade babies to sleep with its array of different rhythms – thunder, summer-night sounds, and more. The mini alarm clock-like device can also mask disruptive noises coming from your gaming teen or when the neighbor’s cats are at it again.
Best For Families Seeking The Best Value
- Comes in 4 color options to match any room
- Features 14 different sleep sounds to entertain and calm
- Settings control is relatively limited
- Power source: Adapter
- Dimensions: 4.84 x 4.8 x 3.9 inches
- Weight: 0.5 lbs
Rated highly by parents worldwide, this Letsfit white noise sleep soother has been making thousands of real dreams come true every night and is one of the best sound machines for babies.
With four different colored versions that each feature 14 sound options, who can blame folks for falling under its hypnotic spell? At a very reasonable price point, your baby can get used to the sound machine’s various lullabies, white noises, and bird whistles, or other nature sounds.
Best For Families Full Of Heavy Sleepers
- Lightweight for easy carrying around
- Simple and functional for those who like the basics
- The blinking-light feature might irritate light-sleepers
- Power source: battery-operated and electrical
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 6 x 2 inches
- Weight: 0.5 lbs
Wanna give your baby a relaxing treatment every day? Then consider the Homedics Sound Spa, one of the best-valued baby sound machines and another favorite on Amazon.
With such a lightweight and thin design, it easily plops into any bag on-the-go! Not to mention, it features an optional timer and six calming sound options to cradle your child gently to sleep.
The one itty-bitty problem with this guy is that some users have complained about its bright, blinking green light that can’t be turned off. So, if you or your child are a light sleeper, then you might want to keep your options open.
Best For Families with Refined Style
- Sleek and dark design to match a classy interior
- High-quality sound system to provide soothing noise
- Illuminating night-light glow to add a serene touch
- Some users have experienced a constant beeping sound that can be hard to offset
- Power source: USB
- Dimensions: 4.1 x 4.1 x 2.5 inches
- Weight: 1.19 lbs
Hundreds of babymakers have noticed that Dreamegg’s dark, mysterious design helps it discreetly perform its job. Its sleek design features a serene glow that’s not too bright and not too dim. It perfectly matches a contemporary home.
On the other hand, there have been some customer situations where the device constantly beeps and it can take longer than usual to offset it. Fortunately, Dreamegg has excellent customer service that will happily offer advice should your device be affected with this issue..
Best For The Simple-Life Families
- Clean and elegant egg-design, making it suitable for professional settings
- Produces a calming fan sound to help your baby drift off to sleep
- Classic and functional sound machine for those with simple tastes
- Possibly too simple and plain in design and functionality for some users
- Power source: Electrical
- Product dimensions: 6 x 6 x 3.5 inches
- Weight: 3.61 lbs
If you’ve ever seen the family-friendly animation Wall-E and fell in love with Eve’s futuristic appearance, then you’re bound to fall for Yogasleep’s Dohm sleep machine.
For starters, the contemporary white dome is an actual fan! Yet, instead of feeling any real rush of air, you’ll hear the calming white noise generated by two internally-operating fans. Compared to the typical modern sound machines, the Yogasleep model only covers up surrounding noises rather than producing sound.
Thus, no magic glow, star-sky projections, or even a sultry, calming voice. Therefore, this might not be as high-tech for the growing number of digitally-evolved parents out there.
Regardless, this little sound machine complements an office or a nursery as one of the best white noise machines.
Best For Families Of Creatives
- Projects colorful patterns, images, and stars on walls to entertain your kids at bedtime
- Plays a variety of musical sounds and rhymes to teach and calm your child
- Soothing night-light aurora to soften the mood
- Not travel-friendly and can be distracting for some light sleepers
- Power source: Electrical
- Dimensions: 6 x 5 x 6 inches
- Weight: 1.4 lbs
Is it a (very sleek) tissue box? Or, is it one of those automatic Air-Wick fresheners? At a glance, we’d think this Munchkin sound machine was nothing out of the ordinary.
As both a nursery projector and sound machine, this techy machine produces 6 different sleep sounds while being able to cast illuminated images and patterns around the room.
So, catch the falling stars and put them in your children’s pockets, because they will fall fast asleep from counting the glow-in-the-dark stars.
Best For Exhausted New Parents
- Sleek and elegant for a premium feel
- Allows for full control with its featured app for more convenience
- Compatible with Alexa, making it ideal for tech-lovers
- Sound notifications and signals might be weak for some users
- Power source: Electrical
- Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 6.5 inches
- Weight: 0.9 pounds
Say “rock-a-bye” baby to this next little fella that might end up being your lifesaver.
This pro-lamp-shade model by Hatch Rest+ is made to last throughout your child’s lifetime, all thanks to its neutral appearance and high-quality sound systems.
There is one potential drawback – many parents have reported a slight delay in the machine’s radio sound. In turn, this can delay some parents from immediately responding to their wailing baby.
Best For New Families With Heavy Criers
- Awarded top-selling product on Amazon, proving its high usage success rate
- Portable and self-contained
- Produces a shushing-noise to effectively calm crying babies
- Limited settings as it mostly targets helping newborns
- Power source: AA batteries (includes)
- Dimensions: 2.32 x 2.32 x 5 inches
- Weight: 0.4 lbs
Made for parents by parents – that’s how the Baby Shusher sleep miracle machine was born.
Don’t let the look of a cute orange fish fool you – once you have it set up, you’ll be amazed at how this little fish can change your baby’s sleeping habits! Not to mention, dozens of reviews have praised its effectiveness in calming down heavy criers, especially newborns just weeks out of the womb.
Our only thoughts on improvements are in its design. There are no operable buttons and you have to twist to adjust its volume.
Best For Pet-Loving Families
- Soft sheep-like stuffed animal disguised as a sound machine
- Built-in automatic timer to control battery usage
- Portable with a velcro strap to cling on any surface
- Might require frequent battery replacements and more pressure to reload the batteries in the battery case
- Power source: Requires 2 AA batteries (not included)
- Dimensions: 8.66 x 5.75 x 5.12 inches
- Weight: 0.8 lbs
Possibly the cutest baby sound-soother among our picks, this Cloud B sound machine is a sheep stuffed animal toy in disguise.
The plush-soft device has a built-in white-noise recorder to serenade your little lamb – all the while letting them count actual sheep in their dreams.
Best For Families On the Move
- Comes with a convenient hook to hang anywhere
- Compact and portable for on-the-go situations
- Reviewers mentioned poor battery life
- Power source: 3 AAA batteries (not included)
- Dimensions: 4 x 3 x 5.5 inches
- Weight: 0.4 lbs
Another cutesy animal-shaped sound machine is this portable Skip Hop baby godmother but disguised as a…robotic owl! With three timer options, this machine is perfect for quick trips in the car or hour-long naps in the stroller.
Conveniently made to fit in the palm of your hands, you can easily toss this mini sound machine into any bag or hang it wherever with its attached hook. Also, due to the sleep aid’s basic functionality and affordable cost, it comes out as one of our best-value sound machines.
Best For Frequently-Traveling Families
- Three featured soothing sounds for all your basic sleep needs
- Rechargeable USB and LED night light
- Comes with a free case for travel protection
- Might require frequent battery-charging
- Power source: 1 Lithium-ion battery (not included)
- Dimensions: 7.72 x 6.06 x 4.37 inches
- Weight: 0.8 pounds
So small and compact, the cloudy-grey portable Marpac sound machine blends in with almost every environment and is the perfect sleep-hypnotizer for your family. It’s specially designed for on-the-go situations as it comes with a free protective case.
From three featured sounds – bright white, deep white, and gentle surf – you now can enjoy all your leisure trips even in the noisiest settings.
Buyer’s Guide To Sound Machines For Wee Sleepers
Why Use a Sound Machine?
The last thing you’d want as a parent is for your baby to wake up in the middle of the night crying due to a noisy disturbance. Unless your baby’s room is isolated in the home or is sound-proof, he or she can easily be woken up by the sound of pots banging, tires squealing, doors slamming, and more.
That’s why a baby sound machine is one of the best ways to ensure your baby doesn’t get jolted awake. It acts as a buffer by drowning out disruptive noises. Most machines provide soothing sounds or white noise to help babies drift off to sleep – and stay asleep.
How Do Sound Machines Work?
A baby sound machine produces calming background noise that encourages the baby to fall asleep quicker and helps them stay asleep. These noises are produced in specific “colors of noise” that are beneficial for soothing babies.
In audio engineering, the color of noise refers to the power range of a noise signal, and colors of noise come in nearly all colors like the rainbow. The most popular colors of noise include white, pink, brown, black, and blue.
Supporting Baby’s Health with Sound
White noise is the most popular when it comes to devices like baby sound machines because it equally represents all the sound frequencies that humans can hear and its mechanism is used to induce concentration.
Furthermore, white noise works in such a way that it can stimulate drowsiness in babies. Specifically, white noise covers all frequencies, making it able to drown out other sounds in its path.
According to Dr. Harvey Karp’s book, Happiest Baby on the Block, the ideal white noise sound for your sleeping infant would be at a decibel level of between 60 and 65. That’s about the same sound level as a running shower.
For the first few months of your baby’s life, the soothing sound of white noise can act as a useful crutch to help the newborn get quality sleep because infants aren’t born good sleepers. Rather, it’s an acquired skill.
According to a study done by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), white noise machines should be located at least 7 feet away from your infant’s crib. Also, the machine volume is recommended to be kept below the maximum volume level.
What are the Different Types of Sound Machines?
- Sleep sound machine: These machines produce a wide variety of different sounds to help people sleep. They drown out and mask disruptive noises to improve quality of sleep (and in turn, overall health).
- Standard White noise machine: These devices produce calming noise similar to the natural sound of a waterfall, ocean waves, and other nature-like sounds. Funny enough, such machines do not actually produce white noise, which carries a harsher sound. Instead, they create pink noise or other colors of noise.
- Baby Shusher: Like the name suggests, this little device uses a rhythmic shushing sound that should quickly calm your baby when he or she is in a fit of rage.
Features to Look For in a Sound Machine
Similar to sleep sound machines for us big boys and girls, sound machines for babies have about the same features. Here are several useful features to consider for your baby sound machine:
- Nightlight: Some sound machines feature LED lights, adjustable dimness levels, and controls for color changes. They may also feature the ability to project illuminated stars and patterns on the ceiling or wall.
- Portability: Depending on how often your family travels, portable sleep aids that are lightweight and compact can be very convenient.
- Lullaby tunes: Standard baby soothers feature 3 to 6 different calming sounds and more advanced devices can feature over 10 sounds, including nursery rhymes, classical music, plus more.
- Timer setting: Consider a built-in sleep timer with your sound machine, so you can worry less about potentially waking up your baby when needing to turn off the machine.
- Volume Settings: Consider sound machines with user-friendly dial knobs that show clear decibel-level markings to find the right adjustable volume for your baby.
- Mobile apps: Most premium sound machines are likely to include a free, downloadable phone app to control its settings.
- Power source type: Most sound machines run on batteries, or require an electrical adapter or USB cord.
Better Than Counting Sheep
The best sound machine for your baby is the one that suits your child, your personality as a parent, and the environment you live in.
Luckily, there are many options to choose from that will suit your budget and make your life so much more pleasant as you watch your child sleep in peace. Get yourself and your family a good night’s sleep right now by ordering one of our awesome suggestions.
Sweet dreams to you and your bundle of joy!