Planinng a wedding involves a lot of decisions, and one of the trickier ones for many couples is choosing the favors. After all, you want to gift something that every single one of your guests will love and that’s no easy task. And, you probably have a budget to think about too! This is where candle wedding favors come to the rescue.
Candle wedding favors are beautiful and practical. Plus, you can definitely find an option to suit any budget – under $2 all the way up to splurge-worthy candle holders.
Candle Wedding Favors
Types of Candles
As you dive into the world of candles, you’ll find there are different types of candles, candle waxes, and other variations. You don’t need to know the ins and outs to choose the perfect candle wedding favors. However, a little know-how may help make the decision easier, especially if keeping it natural is important. Here’s a quick guide to the types of candles used for wedding favors and the types of waxes.
- Votive Candles – A votive candle (also known as a prayer candle) is a small, round candle. Typically two inches in height, it was traditioanlly intended to be burnt as a votive offering in Christian prayer. These types of candles typically burn for 10 hours.
- Tea Light Candles – A tea light candle is smaller than a votive and sits in a wide, cylindrical holder. Because it is wider than it is tall, a tea light will fully liquefy when lit. Traditionally, tea lights were used to keep teapots warm and are also often used to keep food warm. They typically have a burn time of 3 – 5 hours.
- Beeswax Candles – As the name suggests, these candles are made with beeswax. Beeswax is one hundred percent natural, thus it burns clean and emits no toxic byproducts. In fact, beeswax candles produce negative ions, which actually help combat pollutants, such as dust and mold, that are in the air. They have several other benefits, as noted here.
- Soy Wax Candles – Soy wax is derived from soybean oil and is considered natural since it is vegetable-based. Some cited benefits of soy wax are that it’s biodegradable, produces no soot, and burns slower than its chemical counterpart, paraffin.
- Paraffin Wax Candles – Paraffin wax is petroleum-based, thus many consider it a chemical product. Paraffin is often used for mass-produced candles because it is cheaper than other types of wax. Notably, paraffin wax can create a more intense, long-lasting fragrance than natural waxes.
Why Give Candle Wedding Favors?
- They create a special ambience – Newsflash, candles are about as romantic a light source as you can get! Soft, flickering wicks and sweet fragrances means they make an appearance in pretty much every romantic movie. Maybe you’ve even used them to set the mood for a romantic dinner with your special someone. With candle favors, you can encourage guests to get in the mood post-wedding!
- Candles are practical – While we all love our electricity, candles come to the rescue when there’s a power outage. Your guests will have you to thank next time the lights go out and their candle wedding favor is at the ready.
- They’ll double as decor elements – As you’ll see from my list below, candle wedding favors can contribute greatly to your overall wedding theme and serve as both decor elements and gifts. Now, I’m not suggesting you light your favor candles, but simply placing them at your table settings or on a display table can add a real ‘wow’ factor. Check out this lavender-infused real wedding in Oregon for inspo.
- People love getting candles as a gift – According to research by the National Candle Association “both men and women consider candles to be an always-acceptable and highly appreciated gift for a wide variety of occasions.”
Convinced candle wedding favors are the way to go?
Great, continue reading for fantastic options to suit every style and budget.
1. Rustic Wood Candle Holder
If your wedding vibe is nature-inspired or rustic, these handmade wood candle holders will do double duty. First, they’ll elevate your wedding theme and second, they’ll serve as memorable thank-you gifts for your guests to take home. Pop your favorite scented or unscented tealights into each holder and create an enchanted forest on your big day.
2. Lucky Elephant Tea Light Holder
I absolutely love elephants and I’m pretty sure I’m in the majority here! In feng shui, the elephant symbolizes protection, good luck, wisdom, and fertility, with the trunk up to suggest the showering of luck. Not only will you be giving your guests an adorable and useful favor, you’ll also be sending them off with luck on their side!
3. Geometric Votive Holder
Do you consider yourselves a ‘cutting-edge’ couple? Are you planning a modern-styled wedding, but still want to include the favor tradition in your big day? These gold geomtric votive holders may be just the right fit. With a white tealight included and each one indiviudally-packaged, this is a great option if you don’t have time to deal with assembly or separate purchasing of candles.
4. State-Themed Soy Candle
by Lulu Sugar
Planning a destination wedding in the US or simply have real love-on for your home state? These hand-poured all-American soy candles affixed with cutomised labels are a fitting nod to the place you’ve chosen to tie the knot. Complete the look with a box and ribbon, and Lulu Sugar will include a complimentary box of matches.
5. Metallic Foil Floral-Scented Candle
These floral-scented candles are proof positive that you can still gift your guests a beautiful wedding favor on a modest budget. Whether you’re planning a rustic or vintage-themed wedding or a modern affair, these simple and elegant tins with personalised labels will add a sweet touch of romance to your place settings.
6. Seashell Gel Candle
There’s something especially romantic about the ocean isn’t there? Whether you’re having a beachside wedding or simply want to inject some seaside ambience into your big day, these seashell gel candles are a brilliant favor option. Personalise them with a sweet thank-you message and chooose from one of three shapes and several color schemes.
7. Personalized Mason Jar Candle with Sprinkles
Want your wedding day to be as bright and cheerful as humanly possible? While there are plenty of ways to add pops of color (hello, candy buffet!), gifting your guests with sprinkle candle wedding favors will help ensure they remember just how colorful your wedding was long after the day has passed. These eco-friendly soy candles come in a 4oz mason jar and your choice of sprinkle color – be bold!
8. White Distressed Lantern Candle
Looking for a favor that’s equal parts beautiful and pratical? These white distressed lantern candles would pair equally well with a casual outdoor wedding or a rustic-chic theme. If you’re on a budget, consider gifting one favor per coulpe to save a little money.
9. Votive Candle in a Dip-Dyed Pouch
These are a fantastic keepsake for guests to a beach wedding, perhaps! With pouches available in ten different dip-dyed hues, these lavender-scented candles are sure to please everyone.
10. Beeswax Votive
by Etsy: theCraftyVirgo
Sweeten your guests up with these honey-scented candles – they’re the bee’s knees! Beautiful and natural, these beeswax votive favors are a great option for the eco-friendly couple or anyone that simply has a soft spot for bees. If you’re feeling an urge to DIY your favors, why not elevate thesee beauties with a pretty ribbon or burlap wrap and personalised thank-you tag.?
Tip: For more bee-inspired favor ideas, checkout our honey favor article.
11. Cactus Tea Lights
Planinng a desert wedding or simply love succulents? These very budget-friendly cactus tea lights will add a unique touch to your wedding decor and your guests will think fondly of your big day when they light their candle up!
Psst – if you’re now realizing that you’re as much a succulent person as you are a candle person, check out our succulent favor article for more inspiration.
12. Wine Lovers’ Candles – Splurge or Steal
I absoltely love wine – so much so, that my husband and I incorporated it into our wedding day in some very unique ways. If only I’d discoverd wine-themed wedding favors back then, I would probably have splurged on these amazing wine glass candles.
Featuring an array of scent options, including Merlot, Chardonnay, and Pina Colada (to name but a few), these hand-poured soy wax candles are a wine-lovers dream come true. After the candle has burned down, your guest will be left with a beautful stemless wine glass that they can ‘cheers’ you with for years to come.
At the same price point as a nice bottle of wine, these candles are definitely an indulgent wedding favor, but if you’re hosting an intimate gathering or have the cash to spare, I say go for it! Plus, you could always gift one to each couple, cutting the cost in half.
If you’re partner-to-be talks you out of the splurge option above, you’ve got a perfect “Plan C” for Champagne!
These champagne-scented soy candles come in a 4-ounce tin and include the option of a custom label or a standard Let’s toast Champagne label. While they’re less costly than the stemless wine candles featured above, I would recommend gifting one per couple if you’re sticking to a modest favor budget.
13. Personalized Shot Glass Votive Holder
by Etsy: CustomizedByKathy
In keeping with the alcohol theme, here’s a budget-friendly, versatile wedding favor that your guests will love. Equally suitable as a shot galss, votive holder or even a mini succulent pot, these little favors could be the life of the party or set the mood for some post-wedding candlelit romance.
Choose from a wide selection of custom designs and personalize them with a sweet message or your wedding details.
14. Henna Floating Candle Set
From what little I know about Indian weddings (or simply those who want to incorporate bright, bold colors and designs into a wedding theme), these henna candles would work well. Handpainted and accented with rhinestones, guests will feel lavished with love when they take home this luxurious candle favor.
15. Beehive Candles
Will you bee mine? We’re meant to bee! These classic soya wax beehive candles would suit any wedding theme and fit almost any budget.
16. Mini Rose Ball Candles
These adorable and affordable mini rose ball candles are the perfect romantic accent to any wedding. Handmade from soy wax, you can order these in a variety of colors, or stick with pure white roses – the traditional bridal flower and a symbol of love and hope. Notably, these are fragrance-free, so if you have a number of scent-sensitive guests, this could be the best flower they ever receive!
Now that you have your candle wedding favors sorted, why not light a few sweet-smelling candles for yourself. Run a nice bath and have a quiet, romantic night in with your true love!?
Did you find this post useful? Would you like to get back to it later? Save THIS PIN below to your Wedding Favors board!