Nine wonderful years have passed since you tied the knot and we bet there have been countless memories that have paved your way to this wedding anniversary. This is the perfect opportunity to take the time to look back at some of the special moments you’ve shared during the last nine years.
Obviously next year is going to be a biggie in terms of big round anniversary numbers. But I think it’s super important to make the most of every day you can. Nine years is a massive achievement in itself so be sure to celebrate together and have a peek at some lovely gift ideas.
What is the Traditional 9th Wedding Anniversary Gift?
The traditional gift for your 9th anniversary is pottery. Such a good reminder that gorgeous things can come from simple beginnings. It also gives you a great excuse to pick up some seriously stylish homeware and kitchen accessories.
Now, if you want to be faithful to the traditional gift, be sure to keep an eye on the kind of crockery or other clay goodies you’re buying because some might actually be porcelain, which isn’t the same thing.
Porcelain uses a particular kind of clay and is treated a certain way so that when it’s finished, it’s translucent. Hold the ceramics you’re thinking of buying up to the light, if you can see it through the edges, you’re looking at porcelain. If you can’t, you’ve got some genuine pottery!
Modern Ninth Anniversary Gift
According to modern gift guides, the 9 year anniversary is for celebrating with leather goods. If that sounds like something that’s right up your alley, you could head along to our post about 3rd year anniversary gifts – it’s packed with leather gift ideas.
- Bird of paradise (aka Strelitzia spp.): The strong colour and dramatic shape of this lovely flower is a great way to express the joy your marriage gives you both. It also represents travel and adventure, which speaks to many more great journeys together ahead.
- Lapis Lazuli: This vibrant blue mineral is the traditional choice for the 9th anniversary gemstone. It’s often veined with hints of green and purple, giving it an extra special dimension. It was favoured by Pharoahs in ancient Egypt as a stone associated with truth, making it ideal for highlighting the honesty in your marriage!
9th Anniversary Gift Ideas for Her
Show her how happy you are to celebrate nine wonderful years together with a perfectly-picked pottery gift. From a mug for her morning cup of joe to workshops for creative souls, we’ve put together a few of our favourites.
After nine happy years of wedded bliss, it is time to realize your Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze Ghost pottery dreams. For a fun and different activity for you both, try a pottery class which can be BYOB, including painting and sculpting! At the end of your romantic date, you both have a physical piece of pottery to bring home to remember your experience.Why I like it:
- So fun to have a physical item to bring home!
- BYOB is a fun touch – you can mix a ready-made cocktail or drink the wine you toasted with on your big day!
- Activities and shared, special experiences bring you closer together as a couple.
For a touch of earthy Zen and ambiance, this beautiful incense holder fits the bill entirely. Constructed of three individual and unique stoneware clays – each layer is a different organic tone. Due to the neutral and rustic coloring, the piece will look superb in any setting. Perfect for her bathroom or office, the final touch would be some specific incense aromas to destress, energize or simply meditate!Why I like it:
- Due to the handmade aspect, each piece is a unique construction – no two are the same!
- Muted and organic coloring fosters the high-end spa vibe.
- A product to help her relax is always a welcome gift.
I’m sure like every woman, your wife has a collection of glass vases under the kitchen sink from all of the many thoughtful flower deliveries over the years. After nine wonderful years, it is time to declutter her stash and upgrade the flower vase with something a little more appropriate for nine years!Why I like it:
- A good vase is an investment piece for the home
- Obviously, a natural pairing for this gift is a stunning bouquet of flowers!
- There are so many styles out there to suit both your home décor and budget
A good marriage, like plants, takes nurturing, care and attention – so what more appropriate gift than two beautiful sapling Bird of Paradise plants? The two fledgling plants can be planted either inside or out, depending on your home, local temperature, and lighting options. The BOP babies can grow up to 5 feet tall and they bloom after a year or two!Why I like it:
- Orange is the classic BOP color
- Can grow into a much, much larger plant
- The blooms arrive 6-8 inches tall so they have a good chance of thriving well
This adorable planter is the sweetest addition to her desk, the kitchen windowsill, or the sunny bathroom shelf. The sweet planters are completely handmade and are utterly loveable (much like the lady in your life!) Most pots are personified by a cheeky smile or grin which adds to their adorable factor! The speckled white coloring of the product ensures that it will match most room décor.Why I like it:
- The planters come empty – so either buy a plant or take your wife for a lunch date and a wander around a plant nursery
- The neutral coloring of the product allows for a vivid green plant to really pop
- An interesting and fun plant or succulent would add to the fun tone of the piece
The precious gemstone lapis lazuli is a vivid and deep blue color and it is known to represent friendship and protection and promotes honesty and dignity. The necklace is teardrop shaped and encapsulated in your choice of gold or silver. The sweet pendant can also be further personalized with a delicate script initial.Why I like it:
- The chain comes in many length options depending on how she likes to style her jewelry
- The color and clarity of the gemstone is intense and vivid
- You can swap out the gemstone if blue is not a color she wears often – it would still be a special gift!
For a beautiful and stunning nod to a special state, this fun and functional state-shaped spoon rest is the perfect gift. You could select the state that you met in, visited on a special trip, or simply where you currently live now. Perfect for embracing some state pride and whipping up a favored local dish for your anniversary supper!Why I like it:
- These adorable bowls could also be used for bedside jewelry holders
- Deep and vivid coloring on the pieces
- Perfectly sized for a kitchen countertop – functional yet beautiful
You have bestowed an abundance of jewelry gifts upon the lady in your life! Now it is time to upgrade her storage options with the stunning and interesting jewelry holder. The piece is detailed, not unlike a wedding gown, and up to twenty earring sets can be draped over the edge. Larger pieces can be stored in the center of the pedestal. Now, it would probably be a good idea to include a trinket or two with this gift, just because!Why I like it:
- Beautiful stoneware imprinted with a lace pattern
- An unusually shaped jewelry holder that she is sure to love!
- Beautiful neutral tone to match subdued and neutral home décor easily – or stand out in a busier environment
There is a point in life when you have to accept, we simply cannot be everyone’s cup of tea – however, thankfully – you are hers! This set of Japanese tea cups (actually imported from Japan!) are the perfect cups to sip your morning brew together. The cups, constructed from crude pottery, are sophisticated and striking, perfect for every day or tea parties.Why I like it:
- Thick pottery will keep the tea warm for long periods of time
- The cups can be custom selected to suit your preferences
- Comes beautifully presented in a lovely wooden gift box
The Japanese embrace the beautiful concept of Kintsugi which means that we should cherish what has been broken and made whole again. You will often see cracked pottery filled with gold to be made whole and beautiful again. This is a lovely metaphor for marriage and love itself. This utterly stunning pottery pendant, set in gold, features the themes of Kintsugi and is embellished with crackled gold.Why I like it:
- Such a sweet and symbolic gift
- Beautiful detailing on the pottery pendant
- Encourages the concept of healing and feeling whole
For something special that she is sure to adore, this handprint ceramic bowl is sure to make her happy! The element of surprise might be a little challenging, as all handprints are needed to provide to the artist – so you might have to get creative! The artist can feature up to 18 hands within the bowl and all names are stamped on the bottom of the dish!Why I like it:
- You can select any size and color of this bowl
- The pottery is glazed to ensure that it is food safe
- You can add and embellish the dish with a small heart, if you like
For a fun and unusual gift, these totally customizable trivets are a great pick! The artist has a wide array of shapes, states, and colors available. If you have something special and a little unique in mind, you can reach out to the studio and they will do their best to accommodate custom requests. These pieces are designed to be hardwearing and durable trivets but they serve an array of purposes, as they are just so pretty!Why I like it:
- Could be added to a wall gallery for a touch of sparkle
- Geode and pottery coloring is vivid and guaranteed not to fade
- Great that you can custom request something special to you and your relationship
9th Anniversary Gift Ideas for Him
Show him how much you care and celebrate some of the simple things in life with pottery gift ideas that’ll encourage him to take some ‘me time’ or indulge in a few treats.
There is nothing cozier and more romantic than a snuggly night in. Dinner and a movie will be no problem with this beautifully made tagine. The traditional Moroccan pot is far too pretty to live in the cupboard; the tagine should be kept on display as a functional piece of art for the kitchen! A perfect accompaniment for this gift would be all of the ingredients for a popular dish and a dinner date for two!Why I like it:
- Perfect as a ‘hands-on’ gift – you get to cook something together
- A great regional cookbook would be a sweet side gift
- The vivid colors and craftsmanship of this cookware are superb
Keep his bathroom counter neat, tidy, and foam-free with a fun and functional pottery razor holder. The holder is custom-sized to his style of razor, which is rather nifty! The color options are definitely a nod to the nautical featuring dreamy cream, royal blue, seafoam, and turquoise. Each piece is handspun on the potter’s wheel for a one-of-a-kind bathroom knick-knack!Why I like it:
- Beautiful color options
- Great gift for a messy bathroom sharer!
- Cool that the gift is custom-sized for his specific brand of razor
The pottery enthusiast in your life will simply adore this pottery starter kit! Each kit comes complete with bisqueware and a glazing kit for sealing the end product! The kit contains enough material and instructions to create three beautiful copper matte keihatsu candle holders. This kit is a great stay-at-home date adventure for two!Why I like it:
- You get to create romantic candles!
- Fun and active date night is always fun and romantic
- Embarking on a new hobby together is a fun bonding experience
It is a fact universally recognized that the way to a man’s heart is often through his beer stein. These stunning, handmade bronze clay beer steins are the ultimate man gift lay-up you are looking for. Each hefty glass holds a full 16oz pint and is beautifully constructed and glazed. I shouldn’t have to tell you this but the perfect pairing for this gift is obviously a case of hand-selected beer!Why I like it:
- A beautiful gift that will look great in every kitchen
- A masculine gift that will still look fantastic with most home decors
- Each stein can feature a custom-inscribed note on the base
For his every hug-in-a-mug hot beverage moment, give him the sweetest, handcrafted heart mug that he is sure to adore. The rustic mug features hand-swirled, white-glazed pottery atop a raw ceramic base. The base is embellished with a sweet and discreet love heart to remind him at every sip, that he has yours.Why I like it:
- Sweet but still masculine
- Beautiful combination of mixed materials – white glaze juxtaposed against raw ceramic clay
- Interesting swirled texture – looks comfortable to hold
The ancient Japanese term ‘kintsugi’ is a pottery metaphor used to emphasize that those who are broken or damaged can return stronger and more beautiful. The art of repairing broken dishes with silver and gold is widely practiced in Japan. The dishes come in an array of styles, shapes, and colors and they are perfect as a centerpiece for a shelf, table, or windowsill. The symbolic representation of marriage will simply melt his heart!Why I like it:
- I like that the pottery is for display only, it will make a beautiful talking point
- The symbolism/metaphor is so perfect for a strong marriage
- The practice of repairing with gold is beautiful and the pieces are unique and striking
Want to give him a gift that just keeps on giving…to you? Well, read on: tidy up his cluttered nightstand with these neat ring plates! He can safely (and more importantly – cutely) stow his jewelry and let’s face it: car keys, receipts, random junk, and cufflinks in a much more adorable home than all over the nightstand.Why I like it:
- Neutral coloring ensures that they match your décor
- Keeps jewelry safely stowed and not cluttered all over the nightstand
- Beautiful craftsmanship on the waved design
Capture your special moments forever with these adorable and fun custom photograph coasters! Take some of your funny or romantic pics and have them made into coasters perfect for the family room, his office, or even your dining room table! A good combination would be a mix of funny, silly, and utterly romantic. A lovely view when sipping your daily brew!Why I like it:
- This a sweet daily reminder of your love story
- Fun and functional – nobody likes glass marks!
- A lovely personal gift, using your own special moments
He is the Clyde to your Bonnie, the peanut to your butter, and your Yin to your Yang…ok ok, you get it. Remind him that you come as a pair, with this sweet and soothing set of wind chimes. And, like in a real relationship, if the chimes start making too much noise, you can always give them a little more room. A perfect addition to a balcony, deck, or garden – let mother nature take the wheel.Why I like it:
- Cute coloring on the duo of chimes
- Creates a relaxing outdoor ambiance
- A robust build to withstand outdoor life
Nothing says I love you more than a neck massage than a heavy pour of his favorite tipple. No man will be able to resist these beautifully crafted liquor or espresso glasses. Constructed of heavy pottery and featuring neutral and masculine tones, these will be the hit of his next poker gathering. Whether he is sipping, shooting, or enjoying his daily brew – there’s a tumbler for all occasions!Why I like it:
- Multi-purpose tumblers – great for so many things!
- They match in style but each piece is unique
- It’s fun that the colors complement but they are not the same
Until next year (hint: it’s Tin), thanks for checking out our list of pottery anniversary gift ideas. Congratulations on your ninth anniversary and we wish you all the best in the years to come!
*Pin for Later*
Despite her dreamy wedding blogger lifestyle, Meredith's day job is running ClassicVeils.com and a full-time mom to an active toddler. If she could, Meredith would spend her days taking cruises, helping animals in need, and watching Big Brother!