Family trees are a fun way to show the history of your family and how everyone came together. Traditionally, they’ve been recorded in books or on paper, but that’s kind of old school. These days, you can use websites to track your genealogy and then get your tree printed. If you’ve been wanting to create one for a while now, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I share eleven unique family tree wall art ideas for you to display in your home.
Decide on a Family Tree Type
Before you pick out a design for your family tree, you’ll need to decide who you want to include. Not all family trees are as extensive as others. It really depends on the information you can find and what you want to share.
There are three main types of family trees: ancestral, descendant and a blended design. Here’s how they differ:
- Ancestral Family Tree – This family tree covers your ancestors and goes back further than other options – think way way WAYback. This tree usually includes names, but not dates of births.
- Descendant Family Tree – A descendant family tree shows more recent generations and connects whom is descendant from who. It typically includes names and dates of birth.
- Ancestral and Descendant Family Tree – As you might have guessed, this is a blended version of both family trees listed above. It’s the most elaborate and informative. We’re talking about a collegiate level project here!
How Do You Trace Your Genealogy?
Deciding what type of family tree you want may depend on how far back you can trace your genealogy and how readily certain details are available, such as your ancestors’ birthdates. Depending on your family, this could be somewhat difficult. Luckily, plenty of resources have popped up over the past decade or so to help you put the puzzle pieces together.
I’ve rounded up some of the most trusted websites to help you on your genealogy journey:
- Ancestry.com – This site is probably the most well-known option for those looking to do genealogy research. That’s because Ancestry.com houses over 11 billion historical records, 100 million family trees, and has more than 15 million DNA profiles available. Holy moly, that’s a lot of data! Although it has some free tools available, it is a subscription-based service, so you will have to pay to access more information.
- Familysearch.org – If you prefer to conduct your genealogy research for free, then FamilySearch may become your go-to resource. It has more than 7 billion records on file that you can search through by name. In addition to the extensive family tree information available, you can also hone your research skills through their educational resources.
- Archives.com – This website is owned by Ancestry.com and was designed to be a more affordable option. It’s only $9.99 a month and provides access to many of the same records that its parent company provides. One thing to keep in mind with Archives.om, however, is that most of the documents are from the U.S. It is an excellent place to start for people researching familial ties in the U.S.
- Myheritage.com – My Heritage is perfect for those with more recent immigrant ties or an interest in learning their overseas history. It has over 5 billion historical records and even provides DNA testing to narrow down your search. My Heritage is an Israeli website, so it has a robust selection of information regarding the European continent and Jewish Heritage.
- Findmypast.com – This is another excellent option if you want to trace your history outside of the U.S., especially if you have ties in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
Here, you’ll have access to millions of historical documents like censuses, parish records, military records, and British and Irish newspapers. Find My Past also offers DNA testing for those who are curious about their connections to these places.
Family Tree Wall Art Ideas
Once you’ve gathered your genealogical information and decided what type of family tree you want to design, it’s time to put it all together to create a beautiful tribute to your ancestry that the whole family can enjoy.
There are so many unique family tree designs to choose from, you may have to get two!
1. Personalized Family Tree Gift
This makes for a fantastic Christmas gift for mom (or dad!). Love the simple tree design that can be personalized with 4 colors.
Note: This is a printable PDF download. You’ll want to make sure to print it out either at home or using a professional print service.
2. Custom Family Tree Stump Wall Art
If you’re looking for a modern take on the classic family tree, this is the perfect choice for you! Unlike the typical tree design, this one depicts the overhead view of a stump with each of its rings representing a generation and he leaves sprouting out. It’s a wonderful metaphor for all the generations that have rooted your family’s past and present.
3. Vintage Framed Family Tree Wall Art
Have a thing for antique-inspired decor? You’ll love this family tree! It has a vintage design that is reminiscent of the old west. It’s printed on high-quality paper using deluxe ink and comes framed so you can display it for years to come.
4. Large Grandchildren Family Tree
This family tree was specifically designed as a gift for grandparents, but it’s a design everyone can enjoy. I love the tree design with gold hearts as leaves and the various background color choices. It’s a perfect option if you’re looking for a large family tree to put on display.
5. Detailed Large Floral Watercolor Family Tree
I can’t get enough of this watercolor family tree design. It is incredibly detailed and large enough to go back five or six generations! This one is perfect if you’ve decided to go for an ancestral or blended family tree design.
6. Folksy Framed Family Tree
This is another family tree with a delightful modern take. It has an adorable folksy design that looks like something out of a children’s book. It may not be as large and extensive as some other options, but it’s perfect to show off your immediate family.
7. Photographic Family Tree Collage
We all love having beautiful family photos throughout our homes, and this family tree helps you display them t in a unique way. With this one, you’ll get a photo collage inside of a tree silhouette printed on high-quality canvas. All you need to do is provide 35 to 60 photos and your family name.
8. Modern Family Circle Wall Art
If your home has a contemporary feel, this family circle wall art will fit right in. The names of your family are displayed in a modern circular pattern. This is a unique design that your family will love, and it comes in three expertly selected color palettes.
9. Personalized Wood Carved Family Tree
I fell in love with this outstanding family tree option, and I know you will too! Instead of a decal, photo collage, or graphic design, your family tree will come carved into a natural slice of wood, and the amount of detail added to the names and design is incredible.
10. Large Family Tree Wall Decal
This is a fun family tree option because it’s almost like having a literal tree in your home. This large decal comes complete with decal frames that you can place family pictures inside. It also includes a heartwarming message about the importance of family.
11. Large Family Tree Wall Decal for Staircases
This option is similar to the previous one, but with a little added creative freedom. This family tree decal, does not include any frame decals or words. Instead, it allows you to add your own picture frames and place them wherever you’d like on the tree.
I love that it’s designed for a staircase, because that means you and your family will walk by it every morning and night!
Get Started on Your Family Tree Today
With so many different options for researching and designing your family tree, there’s no reason to wait! Start discovering your ancestry now and share it with other family members and friends in a unique, beautiful way that captures your family’s style and history.